Are your passwords secure?
I listened to a really interesting book recently about hacking… one of the most interesting things this book talked about was how easy passwords are to crack. So here are my top password tips:
- DON’T WRITE DOWN YOUR PASSWORD
- DON’T SAVE YOUR PASSWORD IN A FILE ON YOUR COMPUTER
- DON’T USE WORDS FROM THE DICTIONARY/YOUR PETS NAME/KIDS BIRTHDATES/YOUR NAME/ETC
- DO USE A PASSWORD STORAGE APP
- DO USE A COMBINATION OF UPPER & LOWERCASE LETTERS/NUMBERS/CHARACTERS(!?@#$_-)
- DO CHANGE IT REGULARLY
Here is a quick guide to using Keychain to SAFELY save passwords on your Mac:
If you are a Mac user and you have ever selected Save Password when prompted, all those passwords can be found and accessed in your Keychain.
Keychain is secure and a great way to store your saved passwords so you don’t have to remember them all!
- To Find a saved password you need to Open Keychain
- Click on Finder (Bottom lefthand corner of the screen)
- Select Applications – Utilities – Keychain Access
- Search by entering a keyword in the Search box in the top righthand corner
- Press Return to search
- Double click the item in the list you need the password for
- Tick the Show Password box
- Enter your login password to access
- Press OK
- The password will be displayed until you close the window